CAPPA Certified Labor Doula Training Workshops
with Terri Woods, CLD, Blessed ChildBirth & Doula Services
Want to be inspired and empowered to begin or enhance your perinatal career? Join me at:
More about the training workshop:
I have been attending births since 2004 and since 2012 I have been on teaching faculty as an approved Labor Doula Trainer with CAPPA (Childbirth and Postpartum Professionals Association). I love this second career and calling, and I love sharing what I have learned along the way with new doulas and with experienced doulas who want to join in on the CAPPA Vision:
So, do you want to be inspired and empowered to begin or enhance your perinatal career? Train with the Childbirth and Postpartum Professionals Association, an international certification organization for Doulas, Childbirth Educators, and Lactation Educators. CAPPA trainings are designed to educate and equip the contemporary perinatal professional for a successful career in a fun, supportive, and collaborative environment. Trainings are evidence based and comprehensive, and are designed to appeal to all learning styles. Students will enjoy engaging and interactive instruction, with practical and real-world scenarios. CAPPA instructors have in depth knowledge and follow standardized curriculums to ensure the highest quality training and most comprehensive perinatal education for CAPPA Certification programs. As one of the first and most comprehensive perinatal organizations in the world, CAPPA is respected for its longevity, stability, and its commitment to excellence in both education and unsurpassed student and member support.
The CAPPA Labor Doula Training
Ready to become proficient when offering professional labor support? Take the first step towards becoming a Certified Labor Doula with CAPPA. This eighteen hour workshop meets the first requirement of your CLD program and prepares you to work through the steps for certification. This course is designed to provide a foundational skill base, knowledge, and perspectives on professional labor support for perinatal professionals, as well as providing training for those seeking certification as certified labor doulas with CAPPA.
Offering 18 CAPPA Contact Hours. Nursing contact hours potentially available on request.
The CAPPA Labor Doula Training Class includes the CAPPA Labor Doula Manual, and covers the following topics:
- CAPPA certification and policies
- Practical application of Scope of Practice, ethics, and integrity
- Building bridges with medical/midwifery professionals
- Modeling and teaching positive communication and self-advocacy
- Support for every stage of labor and birth
- Hands on practice of proven comfort measures and labor support techniques
- Emotional support for labor and birth, as well as unexpected events
- Hospital procedures – risk/benefit as well as alternatives and support
- Cesarean and VBAC support
- Prenatal and postpartum consultations and support
- Breastfeeding initiation and support
- Business development, marketing, and networking to create a successful career
- And much more!
Know that you will leave equipped with strategies and practical tips that will benefit your clients and help you begin or enhance your business. You will have resources and mentoring to help you as you continue your full certification process.
“Terri is kind-hearted, open-minded, and an amazing mentor. Whenever I have questions or need input she is the first to offer her knowledge and expertise.” – Brandi Kulikov-Ramirez, CLD, CPD (September 2012 doula training in San Luis Obispo, California)
“Terri, you are incredibly inspiring. You met each of us in the space we were in and made me fees so confident in choosing this amazing path of service to women…” – Teresa L., teacher (September 2016 training in San Luis Obispo, California)
2017 – 2018 Additional Labor Doula and Evidence Based Birth® Training Locations
CAPPA Labor Doula Trainings pending in Santa Barbara, Monterey and Clovis, CA. Want to host? – contact for info!
* NEW: I am also available to teach Evidence Based Birth® workshops locally and in areas not yet covered by instructors. Don’t live locally? Travel to join a any training, or we can host one in your location upon request in the Western USA and Internationally!
I am also working on a potential training in Jackson, Wyoming and I am now accepting proposals for travel trainings – just ask about hosting or finding a CAPPA doula training here!
You will also find my California Doula Trainings schedule here.
“Terri’s teaching was clear and passionate about doula training, and her presentation was very evidence-based. I think this training is valuable to my professional development as a nurse and midwife.” – Francisca Bardo, Chilean Registered Midwife (November 2014 doula training in Christchurch, New Zealand).
2017 Doula Training Fees
Regular Local Training Fee is $425. Travel Trainings and Late Registration ( typically within 2 weeks of training) may be is $475-525 cash or credit only. Late registration with Instructor Permission only. I accept cash, checks, PayPal, and major credit cards. All trainings include the CAPPA Training Manual & Resources and Doula Bag starter gift(s).
I have a limited number of partial scholarships available for military members/dependents and bi-lingual nursing students in each training. Substantial discounts may also be obtained by facilitating and advertising an out-of-area training – I will travel to you!
I offer one full Labor Doula workshop scholarship (only the manual/materials fee of $100 is not included) to a Woman of Color for each doula training in unity with the Grand Midwifery Challenge and in direct response to the appalling racial disparity in USA birth outcomes. If you feel you qualify, please have a plan of how you want to apply this doula training in your work, and communicate your ideas with the instructor via email at least one month in advance of a training.
Any student can add a donation along with their registration payment to help subsidize these scholarships and discounts. Thank you!
You will be joining the most comprehensive childbirth education association in the world. Join the Love Wins team and start (or continue) your doula journey by contacting me today!
“Love the teaching and learning style! Very hands-on and made lots of sense. Everything was clear with lots of great visuals.” – Jeri Gunderson, Director Shiprah Birth Home (January 2014 doula training in Manila, Philippines)
Please email for more information or with questions about CAPPA Labor Doula trainings. I am now taking an interest list for additional workshops in 2016 and 2017!
Even doulas could use some doula care! Ask me about my custom mentoring packages, with phone & personal support options beyond the certification mentoring included in the training workshop.
Doula Continuing Education:
Keeping your skills and information up to date is a key part of a successful practice. I teach or facilitate Central Coast Tri-County Monthly Education Forums on subjects of interest to doulas, parents, and birthworkers.
Annual Doula Caravan:
We will go somewhere cool as a community and immerse ourselves in birth topics, adventure, and self-care. In Let me know where you want to go in 2017! One idea is the Midwives of North America (MANA) Conference in Long Beach in November – they are meeting in conjunction with the California Midwive’s Association (CAM) and there will be great speakers!
I agree to the following 2017 cancellation policy:
- If CAPPA Faculty cancels the workshop, the entire fee will be refunded.
- If the participant chooses to cancel within three weeks of the workshop, no refund will be given. Cancellations prior to training have the option of having payment applied to a training workshop given by the same CAPPA Faculty within 12 months. (No-shows are not eligible for registration transfer.) Only ONE transfer of registration is permitted. If applicant does not attend a workshop within 12 months, all fees are forfeited.
- In the case of documented presence at a birth, or a death in your family, a refund may be requested.
- All other cancellations will be charged a $50.00 processing fee.
- Please do not make non-refundable travel arrangements unless you have received confirmation from CAPPA Faculty that the training is confirmed.
2016 Templeton at Twin Cities Hospital Founder’s Pavilion